A family home
surrounded by a Rubber plantation, has a long and
interesting history to this special bungalow, we call our
home, which has been in our family for generations, from the
time of king Sri Wikkrama Rajasinghe
in the western province has evidence dating back to 3-4000
years before the present (B.P) as an area where the pre
historic man had lived. Asmadala, Korathota, Samanbedda, and
Varana is some of the places where archaeologist have found
this evidence close to Hanwella in Western Province. During
the historical period from about the 3rd C.B.C after the
arrival of Buddhism to the country, several places in the
western province close to Hanwella were occupied by
meditating Bhikkhus in caves at sites such as Korathota ,
Pilikuttuwa, Maligathenna, Varana and other places as
attested by the 3rd – 1st C.B.C. inscriptions in the caves
used by them. The caves at Lenawara Raja. Maha Viharaya is
complete with ancient drip–ledges in caves but no
inscriptions for dating the Temple are found at the site.
early times to later periods when foreign powers such as the
Portuguese, Dutch and British arrived in Sri Lanka. Hanwella
was one of the main travel routes used for crossing the
river to precede to Kandy. The old ford (Thotupola) used to
cross the river may be the one still used wich is next to
the Rest House at Hanwella. In 1521 when King Mayadunne
(1521 – 1581 A.D.)started the sithawaka Kingdom at
Avissawella he fortified Hanwella to guard against the kotte
kingdom and the Portuguese Invaders who occupying the Fort
of Colombo. At the end of the sithawaka Kingdom in 1594 A.D.
the Portuguese captured Sithewaka and started a Fortress at
Hanwella in 1597 A.D. using the European architecture for a
Fortress. The Dutch who landed in Sri Lanka in 1602 A.D.
captured Hanwella Fortress from the Portuguses and they
constructed a large and more beautiful fortress using
“kabok” (latte rite) and completed the Fortress in 1684 A.D.
After 1786 Hanwella Fortress came under the British rule and
several battles with the Armies of the Kings of Kandy took
place arounded the Hanwella Fortress.